Skip to main content

tv   Key Capitol Hill Hearings  CSPAN  December 23, 2014 3:30pm-5:31pm EST

3:30 pm
ebola. but counterterrorism is going to be part of that and we are waiting to see what shape it is going to take. >> next question. yes ma'am, right there. >> i'm an assistant professor at the university of virginia. one of the things we talk about today with we haven't talked about the other mental issues like air quality and food safety on the internal stability. i was wondering if you might want to elaborate further. >> i could say after eight years in beijing about these issues with me. what happened in the period is that issues that had previously been of interest to foreigners like the quality of the air in beijing or the food became a primary interest and they were the ones who were talking about
3:31 pm
it and it sort of became a status symbol to know what they what they care quality and care enough about your health that you are checking your smart phone every hour to see how the numbers clocked in. this has become a very present political issue for the leadership. i think because it isn't so much about the care quality and it really is about the bargain, the underlining bargain whether the government is fulfilling its obligations to people. and you talk to people that have no interest in being overtly political because being political in china is dangerous and costly. but they don't see it as a political jester did you get interested interested as a health issue because you are worried about your kids. so i think you saw there is a reason why he earlier in the year they primarily declared a war on air pollution and that is because this is not that they woke up and decided that that is an inherent good it's because they realized that there is a fundamental political appeared to have to make.
3:32 pm
>> we are getting close to the end here but i just want to close with this thought. i would like to hear from each of you with what you like this audience to take away from this discussion today. what are the things we need to be thinking about in regards to china and the relationship in the united states? >> fundamentally it is to recognize the landscape is changing and that relationship therefore is going to have to change. the whole way that the relationship is happening has to change. they have made very clear to us that that's how they view that we will have to accept these changes. that doesn't mean that we get out of their way and so on. it just means we have to acknowledge the shift. we all travel in asia extensively. when you are out there these geopolitical tectonic plate shifting is going on is very vivid to you.
3:33 pm
it's technicolor. i think sometimes in washington and looks very black-and-white and distant to us and i think that this notion of understanding that this is a different character from and as the governor said the most powerful in the two decades he has unique views and we have to figure out how you're we are going to deal with that. >> i'm struck by the fact that at the very moment we are talking about the attention and the relationship and how we are going to manage two great powers the two great powers edging closer into some kind of confrontation. the experience and what it likes to make appeals like has never been more similar. that is a remarkable fact and i think it is specific to the history of dealing with other great powers being in the soviet union was a different experience. but if you are a young chinese prison today you are in many cases watching western television shows and you are reading many of the same websites. you are not believing this is really the same thing that americans do and i think we can stipulate the obvious which is that china has its own values
3:34 pm
and a set of priorities. but we shouldn't overlook the fact that even as we are going to inevitably find ourselves in more overt confrontation we should remember that there are people on the ground in beijing and china and all across the country who have never been more familiar to us. >> i would say with no royalties coming my way would be to read the book. i have enjoyed it enormously. i've watched my daughter age 15 on skype talking to friends in china in bush, mandarin, movies, books, boyfriends, and i say it's incredible how the generations sort of melt without even trying. with my generation, tough and my parents generation, impossible.
3:35 pm
among my generation has my generation has inherited all this incredible work of those who built the u.s. general relationship relationship but it isn't just over 4-years-old. now the task ahead would be do we reflect on the common sense of humanity which we share and there is great, now we debate the -- commonality or do they let the tools of technology drive us apart that could happen very quickly and easily and we get right back down to the fact it's the whole people to people thing we either have a sense of trust and honesty to talk about the issues or not. and if we can't do just the fundamentals it gets down to the track and that could be the story of the 21st century if we don't handle it right. >> thank you all for coming. [applause]
3:36 pm
3:37 pm
is a is
3:38 pm
3:39 pm
a good look look at what legislators can do within the black community including efforts to keep kids in school and improving training. we would hear from state legislators, the police chief and former la police officer who shot and killed a black suspect more than 30 years ago. this is an hour and a half. >> i want to start by thingshat those t a couple of the things those of us here ink are think are important for the record.ognize t systemic we recognize the systemic complexity of the issue and advocate for a comprehensive, integrated, multifaceted to fii approach to finding a solution. this solution has to include stakeholders, collaborating for successful systems change.
3:40 pm
because here we recognize that in order to deal with this issuk we have to talk about changing systems. a the problem will not be sold today. for the audience to first provoke thought.with we want you to leave believe with specifics on what you might be able to do when you get back. home. today's conversation focuses on a recent acts of officer violence against young black mee and addressing the domesticand g violence in the communities. violence has always been a concern in the communities oflwa color, but recent events have ot ait at the forefront of most if not all of our minds in our
3:41 pm
own state of south carolina against shooting the young menno of color. some just some statistics as you listen to the presentations. african-americans are about three times as likely as white drivers into and two times as dukely as latino driversin to bd searched during a traffic stop even though they aresignicantly significantly less likely than whites to have contraband when i they are stopped. and even though there is no ditional additional database on the total number of officer involvedn the fatalities each year between 2005 and 2012. a black person was caught nearla twice week by the police with af almost 20% of those being killeg
3:42 pm
under the age of 21. and we talked about the next abt generation hopefully thisur n statistic in andex of itself wil impress upon you the facts deserve a better public policy response and that's why we are here. at the same time, we face violence within our own community. we are not running away from the fact. we acknowledge that. would we want is to be clear that african-american deaths are twice as high as they are for whites. black women are almost three times as likely to experience death as a result of domestic or partner violence. teen and youth violence continues to be a problem especially among black males between the ages of ten and 24
3:43 pm
whose homicide rate exceed those of hispanics and whites of the same age group. we recognize that the interracial -- let me try this again. you know i was thinking about rudy giuliani and i lost my train of thought. [laughter] let me try this once more. we recognize that intro racial violence is not unique to the black community. that said, violence in the community also merits a full attention and sustained in business on the sustained commitment to doing something about it. we need social action and collaboration on the republican private sector and i will stop because all of these are
3:44 pm
beginning to overwhelm me. i started off saying that it's not about me. it's about the men and women on the panel. but he quickly moved to that. but before we hear from our people on the panel, i want to take a moment to introduce a young man who has taken the time to come from the administration to share the position on this issue. and before we get to the panelists, please allow me to introduce the assistant president in the office of the urban affairs, justice and opportunity as the deputy assistant heat coordinates policy covering criminal justice, civil rights, housing and other areas. she's also a member of president obama's my brother's keeper task force. please welcome mr. austin.
3:45 pm
[applause] good morning. >> with a name like roy austin you might think i'm from texas texas but in fact i'm from the great state of pennsylvania. so, let me start and think you let me start with words from the president and this is from a speech that he gave up long ago and he said as somebody that he leaves and law-enforcement has an incredibly difficult job that every man or woman in uniform are putting their lives at risk to protect us. they have the right to come home from their jobs just like we do. there is a crying out there and they have to tackle day in and day out that they will will maybe all to do their job effectively if everybody has
3:46 pm
confidence in the system. right now unfortunately we are seeing too many instances where people just do not have confidence that folks are being treated fairly in depth some cases they may be misrepresentations were misperceptions, but in some cases that's a reality. and it is incumbent upon all of us as americans regardless of the race for the region or the faith that we recognize this is an american problem. and not just a black couple more brown problem or a native american problem. this is an american problem. when anybody in the country isn't being treated equally under the law that's a problem and it is my job as president to help solve it and that is the words of the president. he has been doing what he can do to help solve it. but we continue some of the
3:47 pm
statistics many of you know already. we have 5% of the world's population gets 25% of the world's inmates. one third of all americans have some kind of a record or criminal history. it is 2.2 million people that are currently incarcerated in the jails and prisons around the country. we know for fact that the a fact that the impact of the criminal record gives an enormous blow to the individual committing, the individual's families and on the communities. and we absolutely know the impact on the opportune american community is far greater than any other community. we also know that the levels of impersonation that we see today are unsustainable. they are unsustainable financially. they are unsustainably socially into the quite honest with you, they are unsustainable morally.
3:48 pm
we know that this is bigger than just the criminal justice system and we know that this is about jobs and housing and education. we need to make sure the president has created 10 million jobs. let's talk about the criminal justice system and things that have already been done and things i hope that you are doing in your districts to move forward and help solve the problems we've seen in the commode justice system. one thing we've seen is the discipline guidance that was put out by the department of education and the department of justice. they are disciplined more severely than others and guided it helps educate others why they try to fix the problem. we know that the attorney general has instituted what is called smart crying and only the
3:49 pm
most serious offenses we are not incarcerating people for the wrong reasons. the office of juvenile justice and the killings of the prevention has turned out and ate it interesting so we are looking for alternatives. we know that we also have the reinvestment initiative which is currently in existence in the 21 jurisdictions but when it was dressed in 17, it was evaluated and found that it would save us $4 billion by not blocking that so many people. and it is working. for the first time in 40 years, we have seen the a reduction for the incarceration and in prime. first time in 40 years. we do know that if we do not incarcerated at a figure to be public safety. we know that for the first time in 30 years we've seen a decrease in the federal incarceration. we know that many states
3:50 pm
including the state of texas are reducing the number of people that are incarcerated substantially, and they are not seeing it increasing crime. we know that we can get these numbers down even further. but we also recognize that there is more to do. the more to do is as the president just announced a task force in the 20th century policing but it is going to look at the policing across the country. we know that we just looked at all of the equipment programs. $18 billion going into the police equipment and that is going to be reformed. we just announced $75 million we want to see go towards body cameras. the president, the attorney general and the secretary of education just announced the correctional guided for kids who are incarcerated. we know that we have my brother's keeper community over 200 communities that have stepped up to push for the my brother's keeper community program and we know the us is bipartisan.
3:51 pm
we know that there are numerous old on the hill of republicans and democrats see the value in reforming the criminal justice system. we are listening. the attorney general is out there on the road listening. he's already been to atlantic, cleveland and memphis, is on his way to oakland, and we are going to continue to listen so i ask you to reach out to the administration. we want to partner with you and make the system a better system and we want to ensure that we have a country where all of us are equal under the law. with that, i think you. [applause] [inaudible] [laughter]
3:52 pm
>> for the sound people is it okay, can you all hear me okay? [inaudible] we are ready to start our conversation and we are really, really pleased to be able to offer five-minute women with a level of expertise that they have. we've talked about how we want it to flow, and the kind we kind of thought that a lot of you are like us come aboard with having events and talking heads to sit and read from the prepared remarks and all of that. so, we started with the little paper and we thought that would allow us to see each other and we just want to have a conversation. remember, if you have a question please send your questions to
3:53 pm
hash tag alc38. #nbcslalc38. first, we have the lady of texas, the queen of the texas legislature to representative thompson with the texas house and the a long career as the longest-serving woman in african-american in texas history. she has been a champion for the underserved and the underrepresented and has offered bills on racial profiling, domestic violence and the james byrd hate crimes act. next, we have doctor david klinger researcher on the academician who is going to tell us all that we need to know and give us the data to back it up for at least the source of the data to back it up.
3:54 pm
he's a professor of criminology criminology and the commode justice at the university of missouri st. louis and senior research about after the police foundation. he has worked as a police officer in los angeles and in the washington police department and has written on the issues of the rest, practice and the use of force and terrorism for the last ten years. next to him is the chief john dickson iii. we all know that he means business and be our guide to listen to what he has to say. he's with the petersburg bureau police in petersburg virginia. he previously served the richmond community for over 24 years and had a chance to
3:55 pm
experience all aspects of the policing. his passion for in the area of the community engagement, the youth engagement and improving the overall quality of life in the neighborhoods. he is also the past president of the national organization of the black law enforcement executives known as noble. we have next to the chief -- we have the representative deborah berry who is the champion legislation to take the weapons from the convicted of domestic abusers to keep children safe from online predators and educational reform. last but certainly not least, we have a movie on the panel, a freshman legislature, the representative chris welch who has been serving in the illinois legislature since january 2013.
3:56 pm
he has passed legislation on reducing the violence in the communities and schools and he also serves as the legal counsel for the various school districts and municipalities. let me just mention again a couple of ground rules if i may. each panelist will have five minutes to make their opening comment. we will go in order with each panelist. afterwards, i hope the conversation -- i will begin a conversation with the panelist and later in the program we are going to open it up for q-and-a. again there are cards that were in your seats and if you don't have a card if you would raise your hand, a staff member will bring a car to you. you don't have to wait until the very end to write your question or to submit your question. if you are like me, you probably want to write it as soon as it comes to you because you might
3:57 pm
forget it. but feel free to put a question on an index card and submit it and then they will respond to those questions at the very end. again, we want to make sure that your phones are silent and you keep your side conversations to your self and finally, if you would rather send your questions, we are going to ask that you please tweet any questions to #nbcslalc38. we are ready to start. >> [inaudible] you've been in the little sites are for this long.
3:58 pm
you're flexible. [laughter] >> i bet you can hear me now. great. i want to welcome you to texas. you have been welcomed by my colleagues. but i'm happy that you have come here to visit with us and i want to also take this opportunity to thank my colleagues cut the representative bring you to the state and being so successful in doing that. i served in the buddhist nature for some 42 years and let me tell you i had a whole lot of things i could have been doing. but i enjoyed my stay in the texas legislature. and one of the reasons why i stay in the the literature is i'm single, an independent, i have a job for my work, make my own money. but there are persons in our society who cannot afford to
3:59 pm
come up to the state house and advocate for themselves. i like to look out for the little dogs. those people that don't feel like they have anybody to take care of their needs and wants and desires. sometimes you want to say i don't feel like being bothered with this build. why are they going to come in here and follow me with its? but after you sit there and listen to that person and listen to their needs and their cries and their hurt you can't afford to let them walk out of the door without giving them some help. stephen ..
4:00 pm
>> in a little town called jasper where he lived going home, minding his own business, not creating any crimes. two white guys decided to chain him behind a truck and pull his body until they had dismembered his entire body, his head, his shoulders, his whole body. he was so dismembered until his family could not even successfully bury him. they went to the funeral home to take a suit, and the man say,
4:01 pm
there's no need. we can't even fit the body in a suit because we have body parts. we passed that bill in texas because we had a hate crime bill that would not pass constitutional muster. and the biggest obstacle was they did not want people with sexual orientation to be part of that protection. and, ladies and gentlemen, i know you feel like me. america ought to be good on its promises and protect all of its citizens. and then we passed a bill on racial profiling, you know, driving while you're black. and one of the things that i want to tell you the reason why we have such a big problem with racial profiling is because we have institutionalized the fact that it's all right to be able to profile people according to their gender, according to their race. and we are back at dred scott whether you want to believe it or not. when the judge in the dred scott case says that a man has no right, black man has no right
4:02 pm
which a white man was bound to respect yet? this is something that we still fight for today, but we've got a racial profiling bill so that royce west and i passed that bill. the last legislationture we passed a significant piece of legislation by saying to the district attorneys in this state you cannot withhold exculpatory evidence. we had a a ma man that spent 25 years in prison, they already had the evidence that he was not guilty of killing his wife. the prosecutor was held because there was a conviction. and they already knew that he was innocent. now, my time is up. [applause] clinger. >> thank you. can you hear me? no? [laughter] i'll go up. [inaudible conversations]
4:03 pm
>> first of all, i just wanted to thank everyone this morning and thank the panelists and thank the organization for inviting me here. i want to talk about two things that i think are really interrelated and two things that i think can help us deal with this critical issue of the use of deadly force by police officers in the united states. as a former police officer, i understand both sides of the equation, and i've been talking with the chief about this issue, and i think that one of the ways that state legislators can make an impact on what police officers are doing is pay attention to the training that is going on in your state about a particular issue. and that is the particular tactics that police officers are trained in. and one of the problems and some of the recent events that we've seen on tape is police officers are doing what we call getting in too close, too fast. and what happens when police officers are in too close too fast to individual, they don't have as much time. they can't think as quickly, and
4:04 pm
it leads to, unfortunately, some tragedies. and so one of the things that is important in your state or, this is going to be some type of what we typically call police officer standard and training, a post association that has power to mandate the type of training officers get in the academy and then in service training. and so if we can spool up legislation to get more training for officers about how they need to enter sewer actions with -- interactions with people, we might be able to reduce the number of police shootings. and if we reduce the number of police shootings, we're on a better path. once again, this isn't necessarily a black/white issue, it's an american issue. so we need to make sure that american police officers across all 50 states are appropriately trained. the second thing as, excuse me, as gilda mentioned about the data regarding how often police officers kill citizens in the united states, we have a big problem. and the big problem is we don't have good data.
4:05 pm
and to make a long story short, we've got three different data sets that are spread across different entities in the federal government that tracks dead people, ie, people killed by the police. the senate just passed bobby scott's 2013 death and custody reporting act which is a step in the right direction in terms of getting better data. but what we have to understand is that most of the time when police officers shoot, they don't kill anybody. they either missover the individual -- or the individual survives. so by focusing on dead bodies, we're missing the big picture. i'm working with jim bierman, and we are putting together a pilot study where we hope to get buy-in from many of the major police departments across the country, already the los angeles police department where i used to work many years ago is working with me and working with saleswomen to put together a serious -- jim to put together a serious data collection program that will permit us to track
4:06 pm
every single time a police officer discharges his or her firearm. so is i would ask you to use your leverage as legislators to assist us and other entities that want to get this up and running to go ahead and give us our support. your support. and so i think these two things in terms of improving police tactical training, and improving the data collection so that we can really know the scope of the issue because right now we honestly don't have a clue. we have a baseline in terms of dead bodies, but we don't know what lies above that in terms of many people who are killed by the police are not counted in official statistics. we have no clue about how many people are wounded by police gunfire, even less of a i clue about how many people are shot at and miss. so i would encourage you from a pragmatic perspective to try and use your power to leverage these two issues; improving police training and getting a more robust data collection system for the use of deadly force by police officers in the united states.
4:07 pm
thank you. [applause] >> thank you, chief. you want to talk from there? >> everybody hear me? >> yes. >> okay. first of all, it's such an honor and pleasure to be here amongst such an esteemed group, you know? i've been in this field for over 30 some years, and, you know, you guys are the ones who make the laws and make it happen, and we enforce those laws that you make. so i want to make that really clear. so this is so important, to be here and have this mass of individuals here to be able to deal with this so some real change can take place right here and now. let me start out by saying that the vast majority of law enforcement officers working within our communities are well meaning and good hearted individuals who want to do the right thing. with that said, one incident of violence in our community is one too many. so we all have to strive toward bridging the gap between
4:08 pm
communities and communities of color and law enforcement officers. nelson mandela once said people respond in accordance in how you realize, how you relate to them. if you approach them on the basis of violence, that's how they will react. but if you say we want peace, we want stability, we can -- and we can then do a lot of things that will contribute toward the progress of our society. the problems in our communities did not happen overnight. and there is no one response to why it happened. so it's going the take some time, and there's no cookie cutter solution. we have to look at an array of philosophical solutions. we have to educate our community on voting and not just voting on the process of voting. you know, i can't sit here and tell you who to vote for or tell anybody how they should vote, but educate yourself on what voting is and how to do so.
4:09 pm
there's a, you know, one of the things, there's a push right now that a lot of people don't know in criminalizing menthol cigarettes. now, by your response, you know, i see you didn't know that, but there's a push on criminalizing menthol cigarettes which, you know, will have an adverse effect in the african-american community. so we need to be educated on those things and be in front of it when these things happen in order to address them. we need to have transparency within our organizations. and transparency, i heard mentioned earlier, about body cameras. body cameras certainly is one way to create transparency. but keep in mind we need to have policies that address those issues as well. because, you know, understand this: those body cameras on inside your house when you are at your worst will become viral. now, i see a lot of heads shaking, you know, a lot of people hadn't thought about it that way. now, all of that stuff that goes on now is going to be on youtube and on the news, and
4:10 pm
you'll have an opportunity to see those things, you know, people at their worst. so your good government job, you may want to look at it. training for officers, as the good doctor mentioned, is important. we have to look at training, we have to look at how we train our officers. if we train them to be combative, guess what? you get combativeness. if you train them to be solution oriented, you get solution-oriented processes. so we have to make sure we stay focused on that. and i'd like to leave this with and end this with manager, where do you want to solve this problem? do you want to solve it with our young black men in their backyards, or do you want to wait until they go to the graveyard? so -- [applause] >> good morning. >> morning. >> hello?
4:11 pm
all right, talk louder. thank you. well, first of all, i'd like to thank nbcsl for the opportunity to be here today and to be on this panel that is just an issue just dear to me, and i just get too emotional when we talk about criminal justice and the disproportionate impact on communities of color. or just any kind of injustice. it kind of gets me stirred up. so i'm really going to try to be a lady up here and just really get to the point of some things. as representative cobb hunter talked about, a little bit about my background and me being involved with a domestic violence bill which was very, very important bill back in iowa that had to do with protective orders that if anyone was, had a temporary protective order or a permanent protective order, the judge, the courts could say you -- there was a big issue and
4:12 pm
representative miller, i want to acknowledge her, my colleague down there too, we, that particular bill would say that guns, any kind of a weapon could be removed from the home, could be, could be. it wasn't even the fact that it shall, it was a may. and you guys all know how those mays work. that particular bill came from out of the i guess it was a woman in one of the rural areas that was, she was really threatened and killed, actually, by her husband or whoever that was who, i don't know, terrorized her throughout pretty much their marriage. and so then that bill kind of calm out, came to fruition. another thing, though, if i can go back and just quickly just make another point on some of the committees that i've served on, because this is very important. for the last ten of my going into my seventh term, i've
4:13 pm
served on public safety. public safety is the committee where we get a lot of, as you all know, a lot of issues related to policing, things like that, those kind of bills. and i was fortunate enough to really have firsthand look at a lot of the bills that came through there that affected communities of color. and as you know, judiciary committees also is another area where some of those prosecutor, prosecuting attorney bills come through. well, another bill that was very important that i was able to get involved in was that internet predator bill, because i'm also a person who of all my types of bills that i introduce, i always represent -- as we heard from representative thompson and probably all of you too. because i sit here, i think we all have the same kinds of passions at heart here. but what i found in iowa particularly too was, and with
4:14 pm
influx of internet, there's been a lot of online predators out there just kind of preying on our children, people posing as kids as you probably have experienced too. so there's -- that bill went into effect in iowa that would keep kids safe from those kind of online predators. and then another important, very important bill that really is quite appropriate for today was the after school programming bill. i know back when i introduced that legislation and the bill after years of working hard, democrats were in the minority, republicans in the majority, it took many, many years to get that, get that legislation, get something in the iowa code that would say, that would allow churches or any kind of organization that schools even who had an interest in providing after school programs for children, there would be funding from the state available. and the reason that's important
4:15 pm
because during the times of between 3:00, 6:00 every day kids are usually left at home by themselves. and that is the time children are involved in at risk behaviors, they find themselves engaging in sexual activities and just any kind of at rusk behavior. and -- at risk behavior. and so iowa being a low wage state where both parents have to work to make ends meet, we found that that was the first step in helping young people not get into the juvenile justice system. because in iowa i think our black youth represent maybe 45% of those in the juvenile justice system. and we know if you start out as a kid and then it goes back to school, then it goes back to what's happening in the home, i mean, we hear those kind of conversations too which i really look forward to hearing with representative welch.
4:16 pm
, what he has to say regarding the education system too, if we do not do something to really help families in crises in terms of children not having a safe place to be, then that is what we find. i mean, they start young getting into the system, and i think i heard either representative hunter or thompson talk about just the fact that it even starts in school. i mean, just how kids are looked at. i don't know if you've ever even walked into if you have children, grandchildren, whomever in elementary schools and just watch how they're even being treated, i observed it in my granddaughter's classroom. there's a little black boy, the teacher says i notice she kept giving him a little bit more attention, and i'm thinking this kid's not doing anything any different than anyone. so it's the teachers. it goes back to a lot of factors as to, you know, what is going on. i think it's definitely
4:17 pm
systemic, it's a system-wide problem. it starts on every level, and we definitely need to have -- can we need to do something to address this issue on all levels. thank you. [applause] >> good morning, everyone. i am both honored and humbled to be here this morning. i'm honored because i'm the freshman up here, and i am definitely humbled being the chicagoan in dallas a week after dallas whipped our butts in the football game on national tv. [laughter] i will tell you being the chicagoan on the panel, you guys have probably read a lot of the headlines in the news that we see it seems like weekly talking about the violence within our community. so i wanted to give you three nuggets that i think we should all take back to our respective chambers in our states that i think can really help us from a policy perspective address the
4:18 pm
violence within our community. i think the first thing that we all need to do and we all need to demand as the caucuses in our respective states is we need to demand that each one of our states provide an education to our kids. [applause] we need to stop expelling our kids onto the street. when we expel our kids on the street, we are sending them from the schools straight to prison. these zero tolerance policies are not working. and as the gentleman from the white house stated this morning, we really need to from a legislative standpoint start making these schools address student discipline in other ways. ask i'm -- for and i'm not sayig you keep these bad kids in your classroom. some kids you're going to have to remove because other kids are there, they want to learn, should be able to learn. but we should not put -- the
4:19 pm
first resort should not be to put kids on the street. in dwhril -- illinois we are addressing that issue in senate bill 34. my senator is leading the fight in the other chamber, and we're going to get it right come january, and we're going to pass a bill that addresses when ahoug -- stated this morning, we really need to, from a legislative standpoint, start making the schools address student discipline in other ways. for the educators in the room, i'm not saying keep these bad kids in your classroom. there are some kid you have to remove them from the classroom setting because other kids within it want to learn, should be able to learn. but we should not have the first resort be to put kids on the street. in illinois, we are addressing that issue in senate bill 3004. my senator is leading that fight in the other chamber. we are going to get it right come january. we are going to pass a bill that addresses when a school can and can't expel a kid onto the street. they need to first offer alternatives, because we want to keep those kids in the school system, and not put them in our criminal system. the second thing we need to do is we need to give people who have made a mistake a second chance. people deserve a job. they need to be able to take care of their families. i'm proud of the illinois legislative black caucus just led the fight to pass a bill in illinois, house bill 5701, which
4:20 pm
bans the box. you cannot put on implement applications the question whether you have been convicted of a criminal offense. you can't even inquire about a criminal offense until a person has interviewed and been offered a job. people shouldn't be excluded from the opportunity to get gainful employment just because they made a mistake in the past. this new law goes into effect january 1, and i guarantee you black and brown people are going to benefit directly from banning the box. the third thing we need to do, and it's a bill i went to fight on last year, is we need to end the code of silence. in chicago, these gang bangers truly believe that snitches get stitches. we need to teach them it is cool
4:21 pm
to snitch. we need to teach them that it is cool to snitch. [applause] but we also need to provide them the necessary protections that go with that. in house bill 1139, i created "in witness protection program. -- the gang crime in witness protection program. these folks know who committed the crime, the need to make sure they know who was going to do the time. prosecutors can offer these folks who know what happened an opportunity to be put on a witness protection program just like on the federal level. this isn't rocket science, we know what is out there. a lot of states do not have witness protection programs. we are going to have to deal with that from religious leader perspective. we have to make sure it is budget for. -- from a legislative perspective. we have to make sure it is budgeted for. we need to have the protections for them. thank you. [applause] >> thank you. let's give all our panelists hand. [applause] let's direct a couple of questions to the panel. we have some that come from the audience.
4:22 pm
if you have a question, you have index cards, please feel free to write your question and submit it to us. i want to start, dr. klinger, if i can come with you. again, we know that emotion doesn't convince anybody. we are very much in today. what we are interested in hearing from you is -- is there any evidence of a link between community violence and police shootings? is there data that just that? >> as indicated, we don't have a good idea of what is going across the country in terms of use of deadly force by the police, because we don't have the data set. a few years ago, the city of st. louis gave me the opportunity to look in all of their officer involved shooting case files. suspects were killed by police gunfire, suspect the were wounded, and situations were officer shot but nobody was struck by gunfire. what i my colleagues did was we were able to map the locations where the shootings occurred.
4:23 pm
what we found is there is a powerful relationship tween levels of violence and neighborhoods and the numbers of police shootings. as violence increases in the city of st. louis the least, that is a thing that is driving the use of deadly force by the police. that is something we always have to keep in mind when we are looking at this important question of the use of force by police. it is largely, at least in st. louis, a reaction or response to violence in the community. >> chief, do you want to respond to that question? >> i think again, there is no cookie-cutter answer to any of this. what we have to do is focus on case-by-case, we have to use evidence-based data in order to approach this problem. we have got to know what is really happening, so we can
4:24 pm
improve it. with that, we have to keep that feeling part in there. we deal with communities and feelings. these folks aren't sitting there with all the scientific evidence, they are sitting there reacting to how they feel about whatever took place. we have to keep that in mind as we approach these issues. >> tank you, chief. -- thank you, chief. representative welts, -- welch, we are really interested in what you are doing in chicago. because of your work, we want to know if you think there is a real solution to curbing violence in our communities, based on what you have been doing? >> i do think there is a real solution to curbing violence. the real solution starts early on. it starts with education. that's why i spent 12 years on the school board. in most of our states, we are not adequate funding education. illinois, ranked 49th out of 50 of how to fund our schools. we could do better, we should do better, we have a demand that we do better. a demand that we properly fund our schools. schools can't keep the kids in school, the ones they are expelling, they'd a lot of keep them because they need smaller
4:25 pm
class sizes. there is a whole lot of reasons why schools are trying to find ways to get rid of kids. because they can't afford to educate them. as a body, we need to demand we adequately fund our schools. we need to encourage parents to get into the schools. parents are not the enemy, they are the friends. my first bill as a legislator last year was a bill called bring your parents to school day. house bill 129. it's exactly what it sounds. illinois schools are now required to offer once a year, an opportunity for parents to go to school with their kids, attend class, go to gym, eat the lunch. get the parent into the school, and let them see what is happening. once we start focusing on education and demanding that it is funded adequately, we are really going to address the
4:26 pm
issue of the violence in our community. >> yes ma'am. >> we also have to provide good jobs for those parents to be able to afford to go to those schools, to see about their children. you can take a lot of pressure out of a family if they are able to adequately support themselves. then they have an opportunity to be able to look at those other things that they can address, like what their kids are doing in school. if you are able to pay your bills and have a few pennies left over, you can do a whole lot of things. we have a responsibility making sure the good jobs are provided. we call this a great nation to everyone else around the globe. >> this is a good opportunity to talk about a bill i tried to introduce, as representative cobb-hunter knows, that would allow parents were working time off work. again, with i would being a low-wage state, parents can't
4:27 pm
afford to not work. it's not that they don't care or love their children, but when you are at work, and then it strict and you can't get away, that is a problem. and that is why the bill i introduced -- if i can say, representative welch, you must be in a democratic led legislature to get all these things done. >> thank you for clarifying. i agree with the discussion as it relates to parents needing to be there. but again, in our state and others, we can't afford to leave. there is nothing to protect them from losing their jobs. without getting some sort of repercussion for doing so. >> i truly think the great supplemental bill to the bring your peers to school day is a bill that allows parental leave.
4:28 pm
we already allow if the malay -- fmla types of leave. whether it's four hours a year that they can leave work without penalty to go visit their kids in school. a lot of states already have those on the books. the ones that don't, we really should consider rental leave act. -- parental leave act. >> the point you made about the new magic bullet, silver bullet to address this issue. in most of states, we've seen legislation dealing with body cameras being offered. how do you respond to those colleagues who take your point about the violation of the
4:29 pm
privacy issue, but respectfully suggest to you that -- yeah, that is true, but we have to make sure we have an accurate record of what is actually transpired? do you think that the notion of privacy overrides the concern of the public's part about wanting to know exactly what happened in
4:30 pm
>> dave, let me let you follow up d ask you about your area of expertise is in training. one of the concerns that those of us who represent communities of color hear a lot is the lack of cultural competency on the part of law enforcement officers. as you respond to the chief, would you also address the cultural competency issue and any other issue involving law enforcement training that we ought to be aware of? >> absolutely. i just want to second the remarks that the chief just made. when i was a young police officer, i intervened in two rapes in progress where the women were literally naked, in the process of being raped, and so if we would have had body cameras there, and if there isn't a law that says people cannot get access to this, these
4:31 pm
scenes of these two women literally we are rescuing them from the hands of these rapists would be on the internet. that is wrong, wrong, wrong. and as state legislators, you have the opportunity to pass laws. not just make a policy statement, but pass a law that says this type of information will not be subject to foia requests, whatever the case might be. now, i don't know the details of how that needs to be worked out, but that is something that needs to be done. because victims of violent crimes should not have to be subject to dethat will come by having their -- derision that will come by having their information up on youtube. not just about me on my worst day or you on your worst day in terms of crime victims. now, in terms of competency, one of the issues that people need to understand, often times things are framed as black and white about policing. but what it really is, is it's
4:32 pm
blue; ie, the blue uniform versus citizens sometimes. we need to figure out how to train officers to understand really two things. number one, they need to identify with the citizens, whatever that citizen's particular background might be, and understand that the citizen has an expectation along the lines of what mr. austin was talking about that all people be treated equally and fairly. now, the second point about that is that, obviously, there are going to be cultural differences. black, white, asian, hispanic, whatever the case might be. and as you all know, within the black community there's different subcultures, so on and so forth. it's really vital police officers understand who it is they're interacting with, that they get training in the academy and that they get training in service so that they understand the community that they are policing. and that's really vital. and that isn't something that stops at the academy. that has to be ongoing in terms of in-service training n terms of having people from different backgrounds coming to roll calls
4:33 pm
and making presentations. there's a lot of room for that, absolutely. for those of us out there looking to introduce legislation, is -- let's look at it from various angles. you aren't necessarily saying don't do it, you understand it's not a silver bullet that we think it is. and we need to engage others in law enforcement, the privacy community, all of those to make sure that in our effort to help, we aren't inadvertently creating something. i want to go to the chief, because you asked a question. you raised is something that leads to one of the questions that came from our audience. and that is your point about the thin blue line. chief, what has come out in all of this conversation has been
4:34 pm
some friction in the eyes of some, with police unions and communities of color. could you just give the members of our audience some idea of how we engage police unions, as a part of helping us come up with something that will work? >> the first step in that, everybody has to understand everybody else's side. my experiences lead me to believe certain things and react in certain ways. i tell people often, when i am dealing with these issues i deal with them with a couple of different hats on. one, from a police chief's perspective, obviously. two, from a black man. three, from a black man who has a black son. all of those issues are important to me. and so i have, i guess, the pleasure of understanding each piece of what goes on. police unions understand they are put in place to look at it from a police perspective. they approach it from that perspective. not a wrong perspective, just their viewpoint.
4:35 pm
what we all have to do is sit down at that table -- we should have 19-year-olds and 20-year-olds to discuss these. because that is who it affects. and their perspective is going to be different from ours. so we have to engage in a roundtable with everybody involved to focus on solutions. >> thank you, chief. did you have something you wanted to say? >> you know, when i think about what happened in ferguson and in new york, i think about the police side of things. there definitely needs to be more training. you know, i look at both of those incidents and say, are those officers trained on when you use certain levels of force? clearly excessive force was used in both of those instances. they have to be trained early on, on when you escalate force. i am speaking because in my role as a lawyer from municipalities
4:36 pm
i represented many police officers. many had gotten it wrong and many had gotten it right. those had had gotten it right had been trained from the outset. as a legislator, we need to address this issue. in a lot of states, police departments are required to report data on what race you are when you are stopped. we need to make sure every time force is used, police officers are required to report it. whatever force they have, i guarantee you, if they know they are going to report it, they are going to think twice about the force they will use. >> representative, let me ask you this. you mentioned a piece of legislation you have done in illinois, dealing with protection for gang members. would you talk to us about what you see as a solution in addressing the code of silence that is in law enforcement?
4:37 pm
i don't want to put our to law enforcement experts on the hot seat by having them address it. but if you, because of your legislation, have something specific you want to share about how you see us addressing this notion within law enforcement -- not the snitch piece, but within law enforcement, about abuses that don't go reported within their ranks. and then we will let our law enforcement experts respond. is my question clear? >> understood clearly. as someone who represents police officers, i understand it. it's just nature we want to protect our brothers and sisters. and we have to train law enforcement just like we are going to train the kids. if you know of someone doing something illegal, it is not cool to try to protect them. they have to snitch on their
4:38 pm
brothers and sisters too, if they are doing something wrong. the only way you are going to root out the bad apples is to tell it. you teach that early. teach it in the academy. they are teaching that brotherhood. teach them if somebody is doing something illegal, it is wrong and i'm going to let someone know you are doing something wrong. >> i know we have two lawyers on the panel. but i am going to throw this one out, and anybody who wants to respond can feel free to respond to it. that is this notion of grand juries, and how all of that works. given the lack of indictment, in cases which to a lot of us appear very clear-cut, what do you say to anybody about these lapses we are seeing from prosecutors and solicitors when it comes to presenting information to grand juries for indictment? we have two lawyers appear.
4:39 pm
the first one is going to say something. >> i have a short answer. several years, i carried a bill to have the attorney inside of the room in the grand jury, and not just the prosecutor by themselves. and i really believe that is one of the solutions to the problem. >> repeat that again. >> i believe we have the other attorney there with the prosecutor. i'm not saying the prosecutor is not being diligent and not living up to his code of conduct. i just think this is a good safety measure. i have tried to pass that bill for 10 years in texas. i know you all the look at me crazy. i did past one and allen. it took me 20 years, but i got it done. i believe this is a safety net, that that would be a good thing in there. i don't believe that lawyer would be disrupted. because the role of that person in the grand jury would be restricted, but they would have an opportunity to see actually what is happening and how the
4:40 pm
dialogue or the questioning is going on. >> thank you so much. as representative welch gets ready to respond, in addition to what she said there are some who are now calling for a special prosecutor to be called automatically when a case happens, so you don't get into this issue of conflict of interest, and all of that. do you support that? what do you think that would do? >> i wholeheartedly support that. i think that is the solution. you cannot have folks who work closely together every day, who have developed a special bond of working together, investigating one another. the perfect example was the prosecutor in ferguson. in that incident, there should have been an outsider appointed as a special prosecutor to look into that situation. every lawyer who has gone
4:41 pm
through law school knows you can indict a ham sandwich. and somehow this ham sandwich didn't get indicted in ferguson, and that is because of the bias of the prosecutor. and i think if you appoint a special prosecutor from the outset, you would have avoided the whole incident. >> one thing we want to remind a room full of elected officials is a possible solution as well is, change the person who's in the role of prosecutor. you know, let's not forget we are elected officials and elections matter. and who wins matters. so we want to make sure we come up with all of the solutions and we don't overlook the process that has brought all of us to this room. david, you want to say something? >> i do not know the details of what is going on in wisconsin in the last couple of years. there is basically a three-pronged bill, but one has already been passed. the michael bell act. to make a very long story short, that is one place to look, in
4:42 pm
terms of another way to think about how it is states can structure these very critical reviews of officer involved shooting. that is one place you guys could take a look. >> i'm going to start with my sister from iowa. any of you can feel free, and i know i keep harping on this. you raised a point to our democratic colleague and democratic-controlled state about getting stuff done. and so, can you kind of talk to us about your suggestions, for those of us who live and work in totally red states, where your ability to decide the outcome of a legislative issue is going to be -- how do we talk to our colleagues who are frankly just dismissive in addressing this whole business of police violence?
4:43 pm
and what do they tend to do is revert to the rudy giuliani school of thought and say, it is black on black crime. if you people would stop killing each other, we would all be ok. how do you talk to colleagues on the other side of the aisle who believe that view? >> first of all, i totally dismiss that black on black crime crap. and that is because -- i always say to people, crime happens where you live. white on white crime happens where you live. asian people kill asian people or commit crimes against them. the whole black on black crime thing, let's just not say that anymore. because i think that is a way to continue to keep the issue separate from the real issue of the fact that there is some serious issues going on with some police officers across this entire country.
4:44 pm
so dismiss that. it is interesting you ask me that question, because i remember when i was my first term, introducing my first bill on racial profiling, and the chairman of that committee was a republican representative. i walked up to him in my little, young, naive way -- he actually walked up to me and said, i'm not going to run your bill. i said to him, why not? he said, "because i don't believe racial profiling exists." and so i sat him down and said to him, here are the reasons why it exists. and i think for the first time in his life somebody explained to him that racial profiling exists. of course, the bill did not go anywhere because him being a former trooper, he honestly didn't think he could get his
4:45 pm
colleagues to support it. and so it took me years and years to really work on that person. but to answer your question, how to really work across the aisles and get the other side to at least listen, it is very important. and this is really something for freshmen legislators. just being able to understand a couple of things -- first of all, in this business, no permanent friends, only permanent interests. you have to be patient, you have to understand that. as you said, representative thompson -- it took 20 years, you say? it took five years for that afterschool legislation to codify. things take time. you have to really be able to communicate with people, be open and honest about things.
4:46 pm
once you get to know people -- you all know this, those of you who have been around a long time. once they really understand who you are, why you believe in these things, once you have educated them on these issues, it is much easier for people to see the other side. >> i used to work in central los angeles so i'm used to being the only white boy. >> as our designated one -- >> designated white boy? >> just for this question, dave. how can tactical training overcome deeply held fear why
4:47 pm
police officers who are in some of these shootings have a black man -- in other words, what can we do about the white police officer to get them to not be afraid of the brothers? >> i think the biggest thing is that most wide police officers, at least the ones i work with, the gentlemen and ladies i know, aren't afraid of black people and don't look at them and say holy mackeral, here comes bad, bad stuff. but there are some officers. it's two-prong, >> you on the force if you're afraid of people you'll be policing just by virtue of their skin color? that's a problem. the next question is how do you overcome it for some who might not be aware of it. i think what it boils down to is you have to have senior officers who get it, white, black, hispanic, whatever, work with these young officers to help them understand that everybody's the same. it's just the skin color is different. consequently i think that's what it boils down to. it goes back to the previous
4:48 pm
question in terms of cultural sensitivity. to understand it, there are some differences across cultures, big deal? i must respectfully disagree with representative barry's comment about black on black crime, however. it is very true crime is an intraracial phenomenon. no doubt about that. the problem, however is that black on black crime is remarkably higher than levels of white on white crime, hispanic on hispanic crime. for example, in st. louis, missouri, where i come from, 90% of all the murder victims are black and about 90%-plus of them are killed by other blacks. so we cannot not look at that disproportionate intraracial violence among black communities. so what's going on in st. louis is not that remarkably different from other places. so i think we agree with a lot but respectfully disagree about that point. >> thank you, chief. [applause] >> go ahead, baby. >> and i do need to -- i rather
4:49 pm
respectfully disagree because in terms of the disproportionality of it, i disagree with that. but i think again when you label -- how many of you have walked up to you and how many black people kill black people? percentagewise we do kill but the notion that we're the only ones killing, i think that's just not a good assessment of the swailings. so therefore -- [inaudible] >> that's my point when i say hat. >> all i wanted to say is i'm not arguing that white people don't kill white people, that's not true. what i'm saying is disproportionate involvement on black on black crime. let me tell you from a human perspective. when i was a young policeman 30 years ago in south central los angeles, i used to ride in the back of ambulances by young
4:50 pm
black kids who got shot by other young black kids. why was i riding in the back of the ambulance? waiting for a dying declaration so i could go into court if this person died and say this person just before they passed told me it was billy bob or whoever it was that shot him. that is no fun. and as a white man, as a designated white boy, as she said, i want to let you know just for that question, i do want to let you know that police officers, when we are trying to save lives with, and we are trying to product people, i'm sure there are racists out there, there are some knuckleheads. but the vast majority of men and women i used to work with and patroling your streets are interested in trying to protect people and we hate having to take that ambulance ride. it really rends our souls. >> at -- chief, you want to say something? >> i want to clear up a couple things.
4:51 pm
we have to look at what's going on. we talked about the fear that exists and i have to say, i think it's not as much fear as it is a lack of understanding, you know. we have to push out -- i'm a big believer in the police department should look like your community. it should match your community. what that does is bring in understanding, you know. if i grew up there, i've been there and had people say why folks hang outside the project? because it's hot inside, i grew up in it. because it's hot. that's really the bottom line. ain't no air conditioning in there and cinderblock walls and in the middle of the day it's burning up so you hang outside. it's not a negative, it's a condition. if you've never been there, you don't understand the condition. >> chief, thank you so much. and we're kind of getting -- i can tell we have met our goal
4:52 pm
of making this conversational because y'all are being conversational out there now. so we are going to just the question is a comment so i don't want y'all to think i'm picking on the two of you but all of them are like the four of us so they're not real interested in the four of us, or these three. no offense to you all. >> no problem. >> all of them think they have important legislation that is the bomb. this is the question for either of you who want to answer about training in our criminal justice academies and our police academies. can you speak to us as legislators about what we need to be looking for in our academies that are responsible for training our police officers. what are your suggestions about things that we ought to be looking for and how we engage our criminal justice and police training academies. >> without question,
4:53 pm
sensitivity training. we have to understand what is going on out there. the number one thing that's hitting the news everywhere is how officers are responding. i'm not going to get into the details on what i believe or what anybody else believes but here's the issue. it's happening. we need to figure out how to stop it. one way to stop it is train our officers in a different way. the doctor mentioned earlier how we respond. definitely. when you pull up two feet in front of somebody who is supposed to be armed, something is wrong tactically with that. good, bad or indifferent. that's probably not the way i would tell any of my officers to respond. the same thing in understanding cultures. we have to understand, i shared earlier where it was a church van pulled over by police and the church van was full of holiness people. so when they started reacting and playing and doing things, the officer was uncomfortable with their response. and he called in more units because he didn't understand folks laying hands on each
4:54 pm
other. so these are -- you know, we need to understand, you know, he come from a background where that is unusual. so we have to train our officers where, you notice, if i walk on the scene i may tell a group of young men, y'all got to go home and they respond accordingly, well, you've got to get -- you know, whereas somebody else may come, get off the corner. you create an environment that's going to be some kind of negative reaction and that's where a the lo of our training needs to be surrounded around that sensitivity on how to deal with different communities. >> thank you, chief. dr. clinger, we have questions for you. one thing, i'm sorry, i didn't see you. go ahead, baby. >> i'm just listening. and i want to just again stress the importance of cultural understanding. but i just still don't think that is a reason to want to
4:55 pm
kill people. just because you don't understand -- i think a lot of it is also just stereotypes and things ingrained in the fabric f our psyche of this country and there's no excuse. so we just have to deal with that part of it. you know, how darren wilson described he saw a big black -- what did he say? oh, i'm sorry, go ahead. >> there's two points i want to make. number one, i don't know a single police officer who wants to kill anybody. 've done it. i've done it and it's no fun. let me tell you that from personal experience. i've interviewed 300 police officers across the country, black, white, hispanic, male, female. they're not looking to shoot people. i promise you that. now, are there knuckleheads out there and bad cops?
4:56 pm
i'm not going to argue that point. let me tell you the vast, vast majority of police officers do not want to pull the trigger. they don't. and part of the evidence for that is how infrequent it happens. i just want to point it out. the second thing is it you spend time talking to police officers who have done the work, i've not talked to the chief about this particular issue, i've been involved in multiple situations where without a doubt, i could have legally pulled the trigger but opted not to at risk to myself and my partners because we value human life. that's the story of most police officers. most police officers are quite restrained. and i bet you the chief can tell you stories of his officers that could have legally shot but held their fire. i think part of this conversation has to include the understanding that the employs are not looking to gun people own. >> thank you so much. we've hit upon something that evokes passion in all of us but i really want to remind the
4:57 pm
audience that a part of what we want to do here is give you data so you don't have to do like you just did and that is react emotionally. because when you become emotional in a lot of cases about some of these things, you use your ability to persuade or even allow the person you are talking to to understand the point that you're making. we have time for one more question, and i want to say for the record that representative welch, there was a question about snitching and how, with your legislation -- and i don't want you to answer it, i'm just telling the audience because you know a group of politicians, i don't want you all when we finish up here, you didn't ask my question. i'm just saying what's left on the table, so somebody is going to come up to you and ask you about your snitching legislation and how somebody who does that ought to feel when they see a police officers. there also was a question i
4:58 pm
didn't get to, any of y'all can feel like answering which is about psychological testing. and what role that plays and whether we ought to make it a public policy issue as far as psychological testing. but because we want you to have the ability at the end to address your questions to our panelists, we will now move to our closing conversation and representative welch, we're starting with you. this is your chance to make sure that you leave with our audience one point you wanted to make. >> thank you, representative. i want to thank everyone for coming out and hearing us and think it's very important that we remember as the leaders in our respective states that we have to demand that we adequately educate each and every one of our children. we have to demand that every person who has made a mistake in their life is given a second
4:59 pm
chance and we have to demand that people who know who have committed crimes, whether it's gang bangers or police officers, that they tell. we have to demand that. and if we demand it, it will all happen and we will decrease violence within our respected communities. >> i guess i would leave everyone just with this, you know, i support police, as i said, i served on public safety for probably 10 years at my political career. but i do believe that if you are -- if you are not protecting and serving, you just don't need to be on the force. we are all here just trying to do what we can to raise our children, make sure they are
5:00 pm
safe, but be in fear for the safety of your children every day of their lives, particularly male children. i refuse to live that way. in fact, i .. i just think we have to make sure we continue to educate, we need to as legislators, you know, have the discussion in our communities policies, critical and all this, make sure the policy is addressing the issue. and you're right, representative hunter, we get emotional and we get emotional about this stuff and we react just like the folks on social media. so i just think it's important to really stay above it as much as we can and make sure we set the example to really, really make our state a better state thgs aret ignore the fact ese
5:01 pm
but don't ignore the fact that these things are happening and they need to be addressed. >> i saw that emotional response to that and i tell you i am hoping we can have some further conversation about it because i think it's so important especially you guys to have the evidence-based respond to understand what exists because part of why we have things that affect the ancillary law is because we don't take the time to look at what happens here and now and we have to make sure that we focus on mac. we have to make sure that there is an understanding that you've got to have that understanding. i will tell you i agree the majority of the police officers are not out here to hurt people. i've been in this business over 37 years. though i continue, yes.
5:02 pm
no police officer once a bad police officer around him. the issue becomes he has information on me and my family that i don't want the bad guys to get a hold of so there are some pieces in there that interview would love to get the information that he has on me to have some kind of negative response. so that's the mass majority. we have bad apples, yes. should they go to the penitentiary area when they commit a crime, yes. but we need to have a focus on where that is and not do a blanket emotional response on addressing these issues because then what is going to be the long-term alternative and what is going to happen, where will you get people? >> i want to edit the importance
5:03 pm
of the two things i talked about initially. we need to get the officers trained because an awful lot of bad incidences for the force is used, not because the officer intends to do something bad but because he or she made a blunder. the honest review of the police officer uses will show it was correct, so we are talking at one pill of the distribution. we need to focus on that. not like the bad cops doing good things to get behind the effort to develop a national database. as the chief is mentioned multiple times, we need evidence-based policies. we need evidence-based training. the only way we can get the evidence-based policies up and running us is when we have the evidence. and there are many members in the community around the country that want this evidence, and we are going to move forward on
5:04 pm
that and hopefully i can count on you all to be part of the support system that would buttress this. and i spent time in texas. that's why i said y'all. >> it's been delightful to be with you today. i hope that as an organization, we would continue to stay together on this issue and not let it fall to carry the burden so that all americans would be able to benefit from the full respect and force in the law of the country regardless of race, sexual orientation and ethnic city. >> we want to -- and i'm not the type of politician that says we,
5:05 pm
i really mean me. we want to thank you for being here and we are very much interested in having you all stay around because there are questions people have that take away we would like to leave you from the perspective. we are in the south. so those of you that are from the west and northeast you will just have to bear along with us as i quoted to you in the southern speak what we want you to take away from this and quite frankly, the bottom line is we would rather see a sermon didn't hear one meaning walk the walk, not just talk. the bottom line is this is a very difficult problem. we recognize we are not trying to provide solutions here today.
5:06 pm
we are simply trying to get you to think about what you need to do. evidence-based. talk to your social service agencies, talk to your educators and community and talk to everybody because we want you to connect the dots. final comment from nbc, get off your butts and do something when you get back home. thank you for being here. >> give the panel another round.
5:07 pm
the in the midwest we started representing children prosecuted as adults and the color is one of the great challenges in america. we have black and brown born with a presumption of guilt and dangerously follow them wherever they go and we are suffering in new york and suffering in ferguson. it becomes an opportunity to victimize people covered with
5:08 pm
this presumption behind this in court just sitting there to get ready for a hearing. it was the first time that i had been in the courtroom and i think it was this suit. i was just sitting there waiting for it to start and the judge walked out and the prosecutor walked out behind the judge and when the judge saw me sitting there at the defense table hockey city you get out of here i don't want any defendants in my courtroom. go back out there in the hallway and was in until the defense lawyer gets here and i stood up and i said i'm sorry i'm actually the lawyer representing the client today. the prosecutor started laughing and i made myself laugh because i didn't want to disadvantage my client. then my client came in -- [laughter] >> we did the hearing but afterwards i was thinking how
5:09 pm
exhausting it is. these are the people that are supposed to be fair. it is exhausting to be constantly dealing with that. so for a lot of the attorneys they are not friendly places, they aren't comfortable places because all of that rage gets directed for the client. it's even more hostile. we have a criminal justice system and if you stand with poor people do feel that inequality.
5:10 pm
5:11 pm
last week the cato institute held a discussion on the future of coal in today's energy environment. and how it factors into the climate change debate. panelists looked at the state of the clean coal technology and its role in reducing carbon emissions. this is one hour and 40 minutes. >> thank you so much for staying with us. i'm the senior fellow at the national security studies program here. and it's my true pleasure to moderate the second panel which will examine the world of technology and addressing the
5:12 pm
carbon emissions challenge. i think that's the panel -- the first panel very much the consensus type of messages in that coal will stay as part of the generation mix certainly for the developing economies and also for the u.s.. it has an important role in economic development but then the carbon challenge is something that everyone has in mind and i think for some of the countries that is the message. i think for some other economies perhaps supply security is the overriding concern but generally i think that public awareness on the climate challenge is rising.
5:13 pm
so certainly this makes technology as one of the areas for the solution particularly timely. and during this panel i would like to invite our panelists to discuss with us some of the opportunities and challenges that are associated in the development and deployment of the clean coal technology around the world and also some key issues that we may explore in this technology areas such as what are the relative advantages and disadvantages in the supercritical coal technologies both from the climate and also
5:14 pm
the economic perspective and also i would be interested in hearing the panel perspectives on the commercial viability especially without the option. that's not to say it's not important. it varies from the market economy so it would be good to have some sort of a timeline that we could start thinking. and also maybe we can spend a little bit more on the r&d side of of it and certainly doctor friedman talked a little bit about it. what is the framework into some of the key ingredients perhaps in some of the other leading economies that are experimenting with the deployment.
5:15 pm
and it is my pleasure to introduce the excellent panel to my immediate left is the chief representative at nato as the development in japan. it's a very catchy name. nato is japan's largest technology project management organization and is an affiliate of the trade industry. the current responsibilities include the technology cooperation in the u.s. and japan area and another is an existing bilateral project among others. the previous roles include drafting and a plummeting the policies upon entering the policies for the ministry in such areas as waste, computer can't recycling and biofuel quality regulations. so certainly not a stranger to the energy related technology opportunities and challenges here. to his left is the president of
5:16 pm
the center for climate and energy solutions which is a widely recognized organization around the world as a leading independent voice for practical policy to address the challenges on energy and climate change. i don't really need to mention this but he was most recently the deputy administrator of the agency from 2009 to 2014 and during his time as the deputy administrator, these strict missions and mileage standards and developed carbon admission standards. his previous public service included the secretary of the environment for the state of maryland and senior planning official for the city of
5:17 pm
baltimore. to his left is his partner who practiced in the federalist administrative issues in the area of the energy environment and natural resources related matters. he represents clients before the congress as well as the federal agencies including but not limited to the epa on the project specific and a pragmatic issues that relate to the technology research. as to the renewable energy resources. in addition he's worked with the executive director of the research council which is the coalition of the industry educational institutions with an interesting promotion on "technology. so we couldn't have had a more perfect panel van with these three leading practitioners and
5:18 pm
figures as we try to take a closer look at the clean coal technology can do in our efforts to address the challenge. so, i am going to invite each speaker to speak for 20 to 25 minutes and then hopefully have a lot of time to take some great questions and open up for further discussion. >> it is a great honor for me to be joining this important panel even though i had to postpone for one week. to reduce the global co2 in missions.
5:19 pm
let's be introduced nato as the development agency under the jurisdiction of the japanese ministry economy industry and we are japan's largest technology project management agency. and so we formulate our project and manage those projects and have a consortium of the project performance. in the scope of the activities that are diverse that ranges from energy related technologies to give you some examples, the renewables and of course clean
5:20 pm
coal technology. now, finally getting started, the speaker will have seen this kind of chart today that this is the forecast for the growing consumption of coal and the one point that i want to draw up your attention to is the new policy scenario which means this chart has already taken into account the new policies of the different countries defend the policies that are not yet implemented. so this means that consumption would grow even though we had some supposed prophecies.
5:21 pm
it would come within ten years from now. so, we would have to be thinking about what we can do. i want to talk more about the coal fired power plant. this is a chart from the perspective of the coal plant. but like the coal itself come it would increase as well predicted in the world "2040 but be 1,360. to give you the basic idea, my impression is when the power plant is about .5 gigawatts, it is a large-scale powerplant. so, it can just tell you the
5:22 pm
capacity addition. we are going to have 2,300 studies in the capacity. so now the forecast say that it would increase and we have to think that coal fired power plant. so, these are the three points that we will talk about today. this is pretty much my agenda for today. the sequestration and the enhanced recovery in the higher efficiency. last, to talk about making sure.
5:23 pm
so, first, the carbon capture and sequestration this technology is one of the most important technologies that we should be working on as the technology agency. however, the point is that we are still working on this. the small-scale project, what we call the higher up project is complete for just a left-hand picture that is on the scale but we are still working on the middle scale project this is the 250 into this won't be operational until 2019, so we are working on this. that is pretty much up to capturing technologies.
5:24 pm
but after the capturing technologies, there will be some other issues and things that we have to work out like the transport and sequestration. the transport might not be that hard to sequestration has some issues to illustrate and those take it out of technology development efforts and there are other concerns and challenges that we have to make an effort to overcome in the limited occasions like somebody said in the previous panel not everywhere is suitable so depending on where you are and where you have to carry your field to. it might not be long and even
5:25 pm
after the sequestration after you put the co2 in the deep underground there is a concern about what will happen when we try to restore to the deep underground. these are the reasons there's somebody in the previous panel to talk about the regulation issues. i think that this comes from these issues. and last, we want to think about also the economic incentives. but we have to think about how the system could work
5:26 pm
economically. so, speaking about economic aspects, we are working very hard to reduce the cost. there are some technologies that might contribute, but still they will add a significant amount of costs to the operation cost of the coal-fired generation program. our estimate come and there might be different estimates, that our estimate says it is on top of the coal-fired operation close to be the transport castration which is unknown. that would be different depending on what environment.
5:27 pm
it would have to think and work to come up with a good way to make ccs economically viable. when thinking about this, there is one way that could make ccs work economically which is already touched upon today that you are putting co2 into the old oilfield service you get more than was originally expected from the oilfield. so, by producing more oil, that makes more economic sense. however, so that is a very good
5:28 pm
technology that makes it economically viable. but the issue is only going to work where the left picture is the location of the oil fields for the co2 and then the right picture is the distribution of stationary sources representing the co2 in missions forces. they do not match each other. where it works there are so many creators that it doesn't work. so, that's why we have to continue to work to come up with other ways to utilize the co2 from the carbon capture or maybe some other way to make sure that
5:29 pm
it makes economic sense. it's one of the few areas that it works well. that is about my first item and i'm moving on to the second point before heading into the detail of the higher efficiency for the coal fire technology. by the way this may be inaccurate. when i talked to one of my experts, he said he didn't like this. but that's okay. the top is a self-critical.
5:30 pm
if you go down from the top the only difference is that you get the higher pressure. so it is super critical at this point in time and speaking about the upcoming technology there are two in the bottom. you turn it into gas purchase a generator. the first generator before the steam going into the second generator. the last one the bot

6 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on